Thursday, March 1, 2012

Andy Baby...




I took a fair amount of photos of my children when they were young, but no where near what I would take if they were young now. It's so easy to take hundreds of photos in a very short time with digital cameras, and  even smart phones.
But one thing that makes film so cool is that you have to wait and be patient for days before you can see how your photo session went, sometimes a little patience is a good thing.
While I LOVE being in a dark room and manipulating my own photos, using that wonderful paper that gives such deep, dark blacks, the paper that makes the photo look so deep I could stick my finger in it, I love even more being able to get instant gratification and see my photos Now!. (for me, black and white is harder to achieve with digital than film, but then, I'm not very good with my camera).

This is my favorite photo of my second child, my oldest son Andy.
Notice all the texture in the photo...that's natural aging...no layering here. ha!
He's looks so sweet and innocent and vulnerable. Look at his fingers and toes and little up-turned nose his blue eyes and soft hair, his sweet mouth...sigh...sniff
I get a pain in my chest, a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes every time I look at this photo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a gorgeous picture. I actually really like the natural aging on a photo, it makes it look "natural" - and not staged, if you know what I mean...

CJ x

beth said...

can you even imagine the photos we'd have today of our kids if they were little, now.....

we have lots of photos, but like you said, with film, we have nothing like what we would have today.

but luckily we have lots of videos.....and i cherish those so very much.

so lets raise our glasses to all those young moms out there today with their digital cameras....they're very lucky !!

noone said...

aww cute picture! love the photo composition too

drollgirl said...

i remember the old days of film and waiting for results. it was fun, and it was kind of expensive. and sometimes i'd only get one decent photograph out of a roll that was developed for me! UGH!

photography is so different now, and so fun. i think an epic number of people are involved in it since digital cameras, smart phones, photo apps, photoshop, etc. are available for the masses. we are inundated with photos daily, but it can still be such a fun and creative endeavor. i love it. and it is so much easier and faster than drawing or painting -- two things i used to do often and am now too chicken and too rusty to try again. maybe someday. maybe! :)

sorry for babbling on and on! yeesh1