Monday, May 10, 2010

4th and Plum…

Well, it’s official…Andy and Lauren are moving to Cincinnati Ohio. They flew out there 05/05/10 to look for a place to live and found the perfect place almost immediately. It’s right downtown in the heart of things and has lots of character. There are a lot of people from J&J living there and they have monthly get-togethers so there should be some good networking going on. Andy said there are a bunch of restaurants so he shouldn’t have a problem getting a job. Fingers crossed!

We offered to drive the U-haul for them and at first Andy thought that was a crazy idea…but after they thought about it awhile, they decided that if we still wanted to do it, they wouldn’t object. The only problem is that I can’t leave until June 3rd after work, or better yet, early morning on the 4th. We could get a little sleep that way, and barring any problems, the drive should take around 12 hours or so. We’ll help them get settled then take the Amtrak home (it leaves Cincinnati at 01:30 Monday, June 7th, gets to Chicago around 10:30, leaves Chicago at 14:15 and gets to St. Paul at 11:30). The Amtrak is $282.00 for both of us, flying would be around $560.00 and renting a car to drive one way would be around $500.00…Yeow! Way to go Amtrak!!!

This is going to be very difficult for me, but I’m trying to be a ‘big girl’ and not blubber or make a scene. This is what is supposed to happen to grown kids. I’ve done my job and now he’s ready to leave the nest. But is still makes me sad that he’ll be so far away. When Kira was in South Dakota and then Oregon, I was Okay with that because I knew it was for a certain number of months and then she would be coming home. Andy is going to be gone for a year! Then, if they are still together, they will move out west for….ever, I guess. Good thing we have cell phones with texting. I can keep in touch with him (notice I say ‘I’ can keep in touch, not ‘he’ will keep in touch!) I’m not stupid!! He is soooo excited though. He just about talked Dad’s ear off when he picked them up from the airport. They’re deciding how to furnish it, what to buy, what kind of curtains. It’s pretty neat actually.

I’m really very excited for them, it almost makes me wish I were young again, just starting out on my own. 

No comments: