Thursday, April 16, 2009

What's in a name?

When I was growing up, my friends and I always pretended we were someone else, and names were very important. I always wanted to be Priscilla (name of my best friend's mom). I thought that name was pretty and exotic. I just knew that I would name my firstborn girl Priscilla. A few years later, I just knew that I would name my firstborn girl Regina. Then I got pregnant. What a very difficult job it is to think of a name for your child, hopefully one they won't hate. My husband (then my boyfriend) and I got a book of 10,000 Baby names. One would think that it would make life easier having a few choices...HA! The ONLY name we both liked and thought we could live with was Kira (Persian for sun) Leigh (Old English for meadow). Thank God she wasn't twins, because Kira Leigh was the ONLY girl name we had picked out. Now that she is older, we've come upon a fair number of Kira's. Every now and then when we're out together, we'll hear a mom call Kira...we just look at each other and smile.
So, while I was writing this, I thought I better look up the meanings just to make sure I was right...I found out that Kira in Gaelic means dark lady. Well now, this shines a whole new light on the subject of Kira. She really seems to be a combination of the two, sometimes she is sunny and sweet and helpful and loving...and then there are other times. Dark, brooding, stay away from me times. Like first thing in the morning, or when she's tired, or has a headache, or shoulder pain, or has to work when she'd rather be reading, etc. etc. etc. BUT, she's usually just like a sunny meadow (to me at least).

No comments: