Wednesday, April 29, 2009

William Sonoma...

Aaahh...William Sonoma. I think most people would associate a woman with William Sonoma. Ha! Usually maybe, but NOT always. Dreaded Middle Child is a sous chef at Flame, Cooking With Fire, and what does a chef use most often??? Knives! Oh my goodness gracious does this boy like knives. Apparently he was cutting up a hunk of meat (forgive me, but I forgot what kind) and he decided he needed a different knife, so he went around the corner of the building and into William Sonoma and bought a new very sharp, very pretty knife. His co-worker sous (executive?) chef just had to have one too. Since then, he's bought two more, both of which he ordered from Japan. The first ones shank was kind of rough for my hand, so while it was pretty, I wouldn't have been able to stand using it. The second one though...oh my! I'm jealous, I'm thinking of hiding it somewhere in the house for myself. Think he would notice?! ha! ha! It is such a nice knife though, light and extremely sharp, nicely balanced. I was thinking it would be a great knife for someone with arthritis, because it is so user friendly. I was trying it out last night (while he was watching) and I was holding an orange pepper with my fingertips while slicing. He got this panicked look on his face and said,"Mom, you never, never cut while holding with your fingertips, that's a good way to cut them off. Always hold with your knuckles out, so the blade hits your knuckles and misses your fingers." I do actually know this, but I've never had really sharp knives, until the last year, and it's hard to change habits. Good knives though, are so sharp, that if it slips off what you are cutting and hits your finger, your finger could be gone before you realized you made a mistake. And what a bloody mess you have, then the stinging, and the flap of skin left on your finger, and...well you get the picture. Anyway, he is soooo excited with these knives, it's fun to see. Just like a little kid with a birthday present he's really wanted. I love to see him excited about things.

No comments: